In 1848 Phillip Allen and his family occupied land now known as the Mountain City area. This became a community centered around a stage stop from Austin to San Marcos. This area was located about four miles north of present day Kyle and twenty miles southwest of Austin. There were two such stage stops – Manchaca Springs (out of Buda) and then Mountain City. This little community was a thriving one with businesses, a school and of course a building used as both a school and church. That school was called the Live Oak Academy and students sometimes boarded in the community during the week to return to their homes on weekend. At this time there was no Kyle or Buda – only farmland to the east and ranchland to the west.
In Sept. 1872, the Mountain City Baptist Church was organized. A group of Baptists in the community decided they needed a church of their own and organized into this body of believers led by D. A. Porter, S.C. Glasscock, B. F. Hall, Angie Good, S. M. Wilkes, Mary Capterton, A. C. Caperton and George Tanner. They elected Elder J. C. Talley a pastor and George Turner, clerk, a position he never filled and was replaced by Glasscock. In Nov. 1872, D. A. Porter was licensed to preach and was ordained in 1874. This little congregation met at Science Hall until 1879.
In 1880 a committee, G. P. Harris, D. A. Porter, S. C. Glasscock and R. J. Sledge were charged with locating a building site in what would become the new town of Kyle. By the year of 1880 the railroad had made its way across the prairie from Austin to San Marcos, bypassing the little community of Mountain City. In doing so the I & GN Railroad had secured property for a new town, and in fact auctioned off lots in this new town in Oct. 1880. The property secured by the trustees for the Baptist Church was known as part of Lot 30 in the new town, located at the corner of Nance and Center streets, a location that has since been the site of the Kyle First Baptist Church. The original church building was erected in 1881 and remained there until 1932 when it was torn down and a larger one built in its place.